Sunday, February 7, 2010

Useful MAPping in a Complicated World and Del.icio.us

The MAPping information activity was very enlightening. I had the opportunity to hear Alan November work through the MAPping process in person. It is amazing how much information is available on the Internet and how trusting users of the Internet are. It is imperative for educators to teach students, staff members, and any Internet user the intricacies and nuances of information posted on web pages. The description of the mapping activity was an excellent reminder to always examine the integrity of data and information obtained online. Although schools block access to many sites ~ the categorization for blocking is not necessarily based on the validity of the site. Every site referenced in this activity was available on our school network. In addition to training students, all adults need the information provided in this activity.

I am exploring the usefulness of Del.icio.us. I have a GMail account which was beneficial for setting up this blog. However, for the Del.icio.us account it was necessary to have a yahoo account. It would be great if there was a way to have one account to access the many technology tools available. I typically leave my email on a remote server so I can access it where ever and whenever I need it as long as I have Internet access. Having bookmarks in a central location will be beneficial, especially since I frequently travel between locations. It will also be useful for networking. I have been in several classes and presentations where many websites were referenced and it was a challenge to write them for future reference. Del.icio.us will be a useful tool for sharing bookmarks between others.

No comments:

Post a Comment