I believe using a wiki will make it easier for the Fine Arts teachers to share ideas and materials. As the director it will also enable me to share common information with the group in a central location. One disadvantage I see concerns the privacy of the materials on the wiki. Another potential disadvange is whether or not the materials are backed up. I noticed the free versions of wikis have space and security limitations. As I move forward with the project I may subscribe to a paid wiki or set up an internal wike on our network. I am also cocncerned that some information is difficult to convey in writing and potentially could be misinterpreted. Introducing the wiki to the group and providing guidelines for posting and editing will be critical to the success of the wiki.
Marc Prensky calls today's students ~ digital natives ~ students who have always had access to technological tools. According to Prensky, "Today’s teachers have to learn to communicate in the language and style of their students. This doesn’t mean changing the meaning of what is important, or of good thinking skills. But it does mean going faster, less step-by step, more in parallel, with more random access, among other things." Based on my experience this week with wikis I would support their use to meet the needs of digial natives.
There are several web 2.0 tools I plan to explore including: podcasting, virtual learning worlds, videocasts, and mashups ~ (as soon as I learn what a mashup is!).

No comments:
Post a Comment