This week we learned about delivering instruction using technology. I chose to develop an objective for teaching Fine Arts teachers how to use a wiki as a communication tool. I recently became responsible for coordinating the Fine Arts teachers in our district. After observing the various groups for the fall semester, it became apparent that there were many resources and documents that needed to be distributed and shared by all. Because the curriculum for each Fine Art is essentially vertical, communication between each campus and grade level is imperative for a successful program. Recognizing that teachers have limited time outside the classroom to meet and share, I began to consider how I could apply the concept of wikis to improve communication between the groups.
I will implement this plan later in this semester with a pilot group. I am in the process of deciding how I want to organize the wiki. I would like to have one wiki for all the Fine Arts groups but am not sure one wiki will be feasible. I may need one for each area: Band, Choir, Orchestra, Art, Dance, Theatre Arts, etc. Once I implement the plan I expect that each teacher will set up an account and contribute to the group wiki. I hope the teachers will eventually set up a wiki for their students. However, the first expectation is to contribute to the Fine Art wiki. Hopefully the pilot will be successful and the lesson can be replicated to all groups.
I have enjoyed the opportunity to learn about and use all the resources we have been exposed to in this class. In our district many of the tools we are using are not available due to filtering restrictions. I appreciate the value of many of the tools we are using, but the safely and security of the network is my priority. So the challenge for me is finding a happy medium between security and innovation. I also have concerns about privacy for our students. As more technological tools become available, it is imperative that Instructional and Technical staff communicate to provide students and teachers the tools they need to function in the 21st century.
Beyond the classroom, I can think of many, many applications of the technological tools we are exploring! I have many interest and the tools we have learned about will help me learn more about my interest, as well as facilitate sharing my interest with others! In addition..... it's fun! I love technology!!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment